The ratio for bread is 5:3 - 5 parts flour : 3 parts water, plus yeast, salt and sugar. My ratio turned out more like 1:1, since my chosen flour, quinoa, absorbed so much water! Quinoa is a protein rich food and I have learned, through much experimenting, that the most successful gluten free bread recipes use a high-protein flour mix.
My history with yeast-risen bread is rather hit-or-miss so I tend to bake soda bread (besides, with breads like Fria Gluten Free out there, why put myself through the heartache of another flopped loaf?) So, what to make for the Gluten-Free Ratio Rally? I have been attempting to make decent roti for a while now, but since we're tackling flatbreads later on this year I decided to save that recipe...
Quinoa Naan Bread
225g quinoa flour
75g arrowroot starch
30g psyllium husk powder
1 tsp salt
1 tsp golden caster sugar
1 sachet dried yeast
1 tbsp vegetable oil
300-350ml tepid water
- Mix the quinoa flour, arrowroot, psyllium husk powder, salt, sugar and yeast in a bowl. Add the oil and pour in about 250ml water and combine. Add more water as required until you have a sticky dough. (It shouldn't be too firm, but still be malleable.)
- Place the dough in an oiled bowl and cover with cling-film. Leave for about 1 hour until the dough has increased in volume by about half.
- Lightly oil a frying pan or skillet and place under a grill, turned up as high as it will go. (You'll probably want to open a window and switch on the extractor fan!)
- Rub some vegetable oil on your hands to stop the dough from sticking to you. Take cricket ball sized pieces of dough and flatten them as thin as you can get them without tearing.
- Remove the frying pan from under the grill and place the dough in the pan and put back under the grill. The dough will bubble and char as it cooks.
- When the naan is cooked all the way through (it will lose the raw dough look and puff up) cover in a clean tea towel to keep warn while you cook the rest.
Here is some more bread-y inspiration for you:
Adina | Gluten Free Travelette Seedy Sandwich BreadAngela | Angela’s Kitchen Our Family’s Basic Gluten Free Dairy Free Bread
Aunt Mae (aka ~Mrs. R) | Honey From Flinty Rocks Chia Millet Bread
Brooke | B & the boy! Buckwheat-Oat Bread
Charissa | Zest Bakery Cherry Pecan Pot Bread, Gluten FreeClaire | This Gluten-Free Life German Vollkornbrot (Seeded Bread)
Erin | The Sensitive Epicure English Sandwich Bread (gluten-free & egg-free)
Jenn | Jenn Cuisine Gluten Free Boule
Jonathan | The Canary Files Gluten-Free, Vegan Mediterranean Soda Bread
Karen | Cooking Gluten Free! Gluten Free Sandwich Bread/Gluten Free NaanMeaghan | The Wicked Good Vegan Vegan Gluten-Free Bread
Meg | Gluten-Free Boulangerie Ciabatta (gluten-free, egg-free/vegan)
Monika | Chew on This! amaranth skillet flatbreads, amaranth mini pita rounds
Morri | Meals with Morri No Knead Sun-dried Tomato & Basil Flatbread (yeast free/grain free)
Pete & Kelli | No Gluten, No Problem Gluten-Free ChallahRachel / The Crispy Cook Gluten Free Chickpea Sandwich Bread
TR | No One Likes Crumbley Cookies Gluten Free White Bread
Tara | A Baking Life Gluten-Free Sandwich Bread & Boule