Yes, I know that I've been a bit sporadic on here since going back to work. In my defence, I have had a fair amount going on. On top of work and studying, I have had a few jaunts to Scotland and the New Forest to spend time with family. Oh, and I have joined the team at Domestic Sluttery! Check out the site every Friday for a gluten free recipe from me.
I have been eating a few more meals for one recently, too. The Husband's job has meant that he is working away some weekends and after the first few weekends of surviving on crisps and ice-cream, I decided to adopt a slightly healthier meal plan! Cooking for one has has its challenges - I tend to be an overgenerous cook, so attempting single portions isn't easy - especially when you are busy or tired, or both. I am still fighting exhaustion since the operation, so I have been eating a lot more quick and easy food; buckwheat noodles with stir-fried vegetables, lentil soups, omelettes and frittata-type dishes, and this pasta. It's basically all the things I like on a pizza, with pasta and it's jolly good. Go on, give it a try.
Easy Pasta for One
2 anchovy fillets
50g sliced pepperoni, cut into bite-sized pieces
85g pitted black olives, sliced
1 large plum tomato, peeled and chopped
15g fresh basil, chopped
salt and pepper, to taste
75g gluten free pasta (I like Doves Farm Organics penne)
- Cook the pasta in boiling salted water, drain when ready (but reserve a cup of the pasta water for later on).
- Heat the oil in a pan and add the anchovies, cook for a couple of minutes until it breaks down into the oil.
- Fry the pepperoni in the anchovy and oil for a minute. Chuck in the olives and tomato and bring to a simmer. Stir in the chopped basil.
- If the mixture is a bit thick, pour in some of the pasta water to loosen the sauce. Taste the sauce and season as you like - remember that the anchovies and pasta water will be quite salty anyway.
- Add the cooked pasta and mix well with the sauce. Serve with a little Parmesan cheese, if you fancy.