Mince Pies are a traditional Christmas treat and now people diagnosed with coeliac disease or suffering from a gluten and wheat allergy or intolerance don’t have to miss out! We save time and use our DS-gluten free Shortcrust Pastry, it’s great for sweet and savoury baking and resists the urge to crumble. Gluten free bakers will appreciate how hard it can be to make gluten free pastry from scratch, especially at Christmas when the kitchen can get quite hectic!
So skip a few steps this year and enjoy the fun part of making mince pies (the eating). We also love the Christmassy design.
Makes 12 depending on shape of tin
Preparation time: 15-20 minutesCooking time: 10-12 minutes
Oven temperature 190°C/375F/Gas Mark 5
1 x 200g pack DS-gluten free frozen Shortcrust Pastry, defrosted
Sweet mincemeat (gluten free)
Milk for brushing
Caster sugar for sprinkling
1 x 12 bun tin
Fluted cutter 7 ½ cm (3inch) and a star cutter or a large star cutter and a small star cutter.
- Dust the work surface with gluten free white mix and knead the defrosted pastry for 1 – 2 minutes until pliable. Roll out pastry on a surface dusted with White Mix. (The thickness of your pastry will determine how many little pies you make.
- Cut out mince pie bases with large fluted or star cutter and stars using all the pastry, place the larger rounds as bases in the bun tin.
- Place 1 tsp mincemeat into each pastry case and top with a star of pastry in the centre of each little pie.
- Brush star with milk and sprinkle with caster sugar
- Place in preheated oven for 10 – 12 minutes
- Serve as required.
The DS-gluten free Shortcrust Pastry is available from Asda, Sainsbury’s and Waitrose.